Higher Gills Farm Environmental Policy
Here at Higher Gills Farm we are committed to providing a good quality service whilst minimising the environmental impact of our activities.
We fully support the Forest of Bowland AONB Sustainable Tourism initiative.
- All our appliances are A rated.
- All internal bulbs are low energy.
- We have a solar powered external light with a motion sensor.
- We have our own freerange eggs for sale to our guests.
- Use Ecover and other green cleaning products and supply our guests with the same for their use during their stay.
- Purchase quality restored furniture.
- Use and provide for guests use toilet paper and kitchen rolls made from recycled paper.
- To aid our guests appreciation for the local countryside and to encourage sustainable activities we provide maps and guides for walkers and cyclists.
- All gardening is pesticide free and we compost our garden and vegetable waste.
- Our planting and garden care is aimed at promoting wildlife.
- Cardboard and newspaper is used for mulching or composted. Non compostable paper waste is taken for recycling (Plastic Bottles and Metal Cans).
- We encourage our guests to separate out waste that can be collected via Ribble Valley Borough Councils system.
- On this web site and in our accommodation we have provided information and ideas for low impact activities. and ways to get the most out of our beautiful surroundings.
- We will collect from our guests and take to our local recycling facility, batteries and other hazardous waste.
- Our web host 1&1 is proud to be the first large web host who relies solely on renewable energy. 1&1 now uses wind, water and solar power in accordance with the Renewable Energy Certification System (RECS).
- Green Tourism Business Scheme Gold Award 2010.
Higher Gills Farm
We are helping to preserve the Teeswater sheep a rare breed by marketing its wool for knitting and crafts see our Teeswater Wool web site. Freda does spinning demonstrations in local schools to encourage crafts to a new generation and is a craft examiner for the Brownies.
Some of our land is in Countryside Stewardship Scheme which recognises our efforts to manage it in a way that promotes wildlife and the natural beauty of the countryside.
Contact Freda Pilkington
Tel: 07743303939 or 07756670102 e-mail: email@example.com